Skip to main content

Wrapping Up the Course

Isabelle Saxon
January 18th, 2022

Wrapping Up the Course
  

    I think that it is human nature to want to know where we came from, to want to hear about those who came before us. To know where in the world our ancestors settled, what ethnicities have mixed and molded us into the way we are. Going into the course I knew quite a bit about my mother’s mother’s side of the family stories, names, and traditions were passed down to me. However I had only ever heard vague stories for the other sides of my family and I wanted to know more. I wanted an answer to how I got here, and what genetics came to make me the way I am. I think I underestimated how much information ancestry and the internet really has. I was able to find out a lot and I answered the questions I wanted answered.

My Grandfather, Dad, and Uncle
My Grandfather Charlie, My dad Charles, and My Uncle Jim

I found where in Hungary my dad's family came from, and I managed to even see records of my 2nd great grandfather growing up in Sweden.  When I set out I was looking for a good story. I wanted to find that I came from interesting people from interesting places. Instead I found a new appreciation for the life I have now. Though out of my 4 grand parents 3 are the children of first generating Americans I didn’t realized that on my maternal grandfather's side of the family I have family that was in America during the civil war, and when I found this out I was scared to find that I had Family on the wrong side of history, but that wasn't the case.



Ella Madden the 2nd Great Granddaughter of Daniel Webster 

My 7th Great Grandfather was named Daniel Webster. He is famous for a two day speech he gave on the Senate floor against slavery. He is named and quoted in the Gettysburg address and he was also a vocal critic of the Indian Relocation Act. On My maternal Grandmother's side I found records of their quintessential Jewish story facing hardship in Europe. My 2nd Great grandfather went ahead and set up a home in New York, and then my grandmother followed making the journey alone with only what she could carry and her 5 small children. They settled in a Jewish community in New York. My grandfather on my dad’s side was the first generation on that side of my family to be born with a birth certificate. His father and family used everything they had to be able to take a boat to America. They fought harder than I could have imagined for the life I have now. My grandparents wanted the American dream for their children so they faked documents saying their children were from Cleveland Ohio. They made sure they all spoke english.

Four Generations Together Left to right Great Grandma Madelaine, Grandma Carolyn, Great-Great-Great Grandma Zipre, and Great-Great Grandma Miriam 

They wanted a better life for their children and their children so they traded in their culture to fit in. While I am sad that I didn't grow up with more of my culture, I understand and am grateful for their sacrifices, how hard they worked for my family to have the life we have today, and that story wasn’t unique. On every branch of my tree I found stories of people fighting for a better life for their children.  So in the end I did find stories with interesting people, the interesting places, and interesting cultures, but that wasn't the big takeaway for me. In the end I found gratitude for all the people that struggled and fought for me to be here and have the life I enjoy. 

.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6 - A Search for Answers

  We began our morning at school, completing our gathering of questions and people to research at the Clayton Library. Once the group and our research questions were assembled we made our way through the Museum District to the library to begin our deep research! Upon arrival we got right to work, most went to the second floor for international research, however, I and a few others remained downstairs to research further into the U.S. I wanted to find some answers to my questions about my Native American heritage. I knew that my great-grandfather is a part of a smaller tribe in Maine, however, he lived with the Cherokee of North Carolina. Thanks to the assistance of the librarians at the Clayton Library and some long reading I was able to find some family names in a Cherokee census, leading me to believe my great-grandfather lived with family within the tribe!  After a long morning of research, we set off for the McGovern Centennial Gardens. Ms. Harrison filled us in, upon our arrival,

Day 4 - Ending of the first week

     Day 4 - Ending of the first week Morning     On the morning of the halfway mark for J-term, we start by sharing new discoveries from yesterday's class on our family trees. After discussion, we dove right into working on our family trees once again. Students who did not get the chance to meet with Ms. Harrison the previous day would now get the chance to. While all the students worked on their family trees some students met one on one with Ms. Harrison to get some help on roadblocks or stumps they may have come across during their time building their family tree. Students are making new discoveries every day and grow ever more excited about learning new things about their families. Near the end of the morning, I was able to sit with Ms. Harrison and talk with her about a serious roadblock I had faced while building my family tree. When sitting down with Ms. Harrison we were able to find some records for my mom's side of the family which I was struggling with. This opened up

Day 3 - Continued Research

 Day 3 - Continued Research                                                                                                    Morning     We began our morning by furthering our research into our ancestors. We looked through further documents, resources, and other primary sources. To keep us on track, each student met with Ms. Harrison to discuss their findings and how they can further enhance their studies. I found that much of my family's history is not located on Ancestry.com and I had to use different sources to track my family's background. Websites such as Family History, Findagrave, Familysearch, and many more are other sources I can use to track the origins of my family.  Students using ancestry.com to further their research     For the second portion of the day, we watched an episode of finding your roots featuring Nancy Pelosi, Norah O'Donnel, and Zac Posen. All three guests had stories from their relatives that shaped them into the people that they are today. For